Stage 1: building doc locally
Sphinx is an awesome tool and combined with ReadTheDocs it can deliver quite a punch when it comes to documenting the project and its API. Unfortunately the introduction is pretty obscure when it comes to using the apidoc/autodoc modules.
To summarize a couple of hours of goggling and exploration:
sphinx-apidoc -fo docs/source my_project
sphinx-build docs/source docs/build
from sphinx.ext.apidoc, using the sphinx.ext.autodoc will build the autodoc-parseable .rst files that will then be read by the
For it to work properly it is critical to add the project ROOT directory into the setup file :
In addition to that, if your module includes a “setup.py” or any other module using the “OptionParser”, this module needs to be excluded from the tree of .rst files generated by the “apidoc” module.
Stage 2: Sending it all to the RTFD
However things get funkier when it comes to loading everything to readthedocs
First, when using the sphinx.est.autodoc, you need to import your own modules for the autodoc to parse them. Which means you also need to install the external library dependencies. Readthedocs allows this by activating the venv and installing all the required modules from a requirements.txt (requires some manipulation of the project settings, but in all it is a pretty painless operation). However, when the python modules you are trying ti import depend on C libraries, things go south very fast.
The option FAQ suggests is to use the Mocks library. However, their code doesn’t work for Python2.7 and they understate the extent of problems metaprogramming from the mock.Mock module can wreak in your code.
First, here is the proper mock and mock module import code:
def __getattr__(cls, name):
def __getitem__(cls, name):
MOCK_MODULES = [numpy, scipy, ...]
for mod_name in MOCK_MODULES:
Second, you will need to import ALL “modules.submodules” from which you are importing, else you will get a “sys.path” error.
MOCK_MODULES = [numpy, scipy, 'scipy.stats', ...]
Finally, for some reason our re-defined mock doesn’t subclass very well. Here is the error I got related to this:
TypeError: Error when calling the metaclass bases
str() takes at most 1 argument (3 given)
And here is the code it originated from:
from bulbs.model import Node, Relationship # replaced with Mock
from bulbs.property import String, Integer, Float, Bool # replaced with Mock
element_type = "CostumNode"
ID = String(nullable = False)
displayName = String()
main_connex = Bool()
custom = String()
load = Float()
element_type = "Meta"
localization = String()
In the end, I finished by mocking out the module that was raising that error (provided it was imported from multiple modules)
MOCK_MODULES = [numpy, scipy, 'scipy.stats', 'mypackage.erroneousmodule,...]
And removing it from the tree generated by the sphinx.ext.apidoc.
Finally, a last step was to insert an “on_rtd” into setup to prevent python from installing C-modules that RTFD infrastructure cannot handle.
Instead of conclusions:
Reathedoc.org and Sphinx autodoc/apidoc are definitely steps in the right direction regarding project and API documentation.
However the interface is still pretty brutal and even for a seasoned programmer getting it anywhere to working required a full day of googling, experimentation, error log parsing and harassing the stackoverflow.
If the goal is to get the newbies or inexperienced programmers with narrow expertise domain (cough, scientific computing, cough) to document their projects right, the effect of Sphinx/Readthedoc is right now almost opposite.
I tried it for the first time in 2013. The experience scarred me so much I kept delaying making the whole chain work until 2015, mostly because of pretty obscure documentation (heads up to Yael Grossman for noticing it back in 2012).
As a way to improve that situation, I would suggest an option to add to readthedocs a way of uploading pre-build html pages or to sphinx.ext.autodoc a way to generate intermediate .rst files so that autodoc only needs to be run locally, not on the readthedocs servers with all the problems that ensue. An alternative would be to modify the sphinx-quickstart so t/at it builds a config file compatible with readthedocs requirements right away.
Update on 01/08/16:
I was able to include my readme.md file after translating it to readme.rst thanks to pandoc thanks to the rst ..include: instruction. Awesome!
However it seems that now the RTFD pull interface is broken again and it can’t find Sphinx’s config.py or does not execute it before performing the set-up. So my modules are not mocked and the build fails. After some investigation, I had to set-up a conditional pull in the setup.py that would pull only non-C extensions in when the $READTHEDOCS is set to True.